ARSCLIST  December 2006

ARSCLIST December 2006

Re: Dating LPs ?

Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:28:16 -0800

 SCHWANN CATALOG

---------------------------------
   Went to the lake, rented a boat
 Black inner tube, keepin' me afloat
 Paddles and oars, pushed from the docks
  Over the waves, water on the Rockefeller

 Over under sideways and down
 Going up the staircase around
 Righteous opinions & your condescending stance
 Couldn't prevent this ole sailor from dancing alone
 Over under sideways down
 Going up the staircase around
 I just been living with an odyssey of pants
 Wouldn't expect you to favor my hands

 Man overboard, struggle for air
 Lifeguard is here, pulls him by the hair
 Back to the shore, he nearly drowned
 But he'll be OK, gives him mouth-to-mouth

 Minnows and worms, fishing supplies
 Hook, rod and line, what a big surprise
 Tackle and reel, scaling a trout
 Nautical girl, gimme mouth-to-mouth resusitation

 Over under sideways and down
 Going up the staircase around
 Righteous opinions & your condescending stance
 Couldn't prevent this ole sailor from dancing away
 Over under sideways down
 Going up the staircase around
 We just been living with an odyssey of pants
 Wouldn't expect me to favor my hands

 Schwann catalog? In the hallway
 Use the Phonolog
 Schwanns? Sewanne swans!
 Use the other big book
 Do you think I found the number?
 Do you see if the label is listed?
 Is it in stereo or mono?
 Quadrophonic 8-track is not available
 You can go to the artist section
 And cross reference with the album in question
 Here's the answer: Schwanns!

---------------------------------
  2004 r.stevie moore/terry burrows

"D. Blake Werts" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Thanks Tom for the response.  I had planned to use Schwann as one of the
sources since it is "relatively" possible to get access to many of the back
issues.  Other ideas that I had in mind were to use The Gramophone Magazine,
American Record Review, and any others of the like where ads and/or actual
record reviews were published.

Of course, actual company documentation would be greatly beneficial but I
fear getting access to these would be challenging at best.

You bring up a great question, and one that I have only rationalized to
myself because (selfishly, "I want it...") but needs to be brought to light
and discussed openly:  IS knowing an "LP release date important enough to go
through the exercise of gathering the info" ?  Would/could others use the
info?

Thanks,
D. Blake Werts