ARSCLIST  December 2006

ARSCLIST December 2006

Re: Filling mines with data & Samp9 (was Re: [ARSCLIST] The ways C...

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:05:37 -0500

Hi Mike:

I think this isn't recognizing how modern professional digital storage works. Not saying it always
works this way, but the whole point of digital storage is multiple copies at multiple sites. You
can't do that with a tape under your bed. Especially when your house burns down. The laquer cut will
melt too, alas.

OK, this reminds me of a good story. True story, too, told first-hand to me. A guy my wife's sister
dated for a while was a bit of a character. He didn't trust banks. He was a very good carpenter and
was more than willing to work for cash at a reduced off-the-books rate. You can imagine how 30 years
of hard work led to a big pile of cash. He kept this pile under his bed. Sure as shootin', his house
burned down. But, because he was no dummy, his WATER bed saved his pile of cash from the fire when
it burst open as the flames destroyed the bedroom. He gave $100 tips to all the honest volunteer
firemen who did not steal one nickel and joked about the whole thing for years afterward. I think he
got the religion of banks after that, but I don't know that for a fact and he might well have gotten
the religion of a buried concrete bunker just as likely.

-- Tom Fine