PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

PCCLIST Home

PCCLIST  January 2007

PCCLIST January 2007

Re: ALA meeting - Cataloging locally digitized resources

Renette Davis <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:11:47 -0600

I think I need to explain more clearly what a digital registry record is.
The digital registry record actually IS the WorldCat record. An 042 of dlr
is what "puts" the WorldCat record into the Registry of Digital Masters.
There is just one record. It can be found in WorldCat using a regular
search or it can be found in the digital registry by limiting a WorldCat
search using authentication code of dlr. More details are available at:

http://www.oclc.org/digitalpreservation/why/digitalregistry/default.htm

It is similar to the CONSER database. The CONSER record IS the WorldCat
record and it's the authentication code which makes it a CONSER record. The
CONSER database is a subset of WorldCat. Same for the digital registry.

So, Robert's comments about the 533 in print version digital registry
records causing problems were, in fact, talking about the WorldCat records.
As I mentioned in the last message, however, those records were created
before the guidelines that we are now discussing were developed. The
library which added those 533s uses a single record approach, so they added
the 533 to the print version record. In order to avoid the problems that
Robert mentioned, our guidelines recommend using different wording in the
533 when using the single record approach.

We are recommending the following: If you are using the single record
approach, adding information about the electronic version onto the print
version record, you should use "Also available as electronic reproduction"
in subfield a of the 533 in the print version record. If you are using the
separate record approach, creating a separate record for the electronic
version, you should use "Electronic reproduction" in subfield a of the 533
in the electronic version record, which is the way we have been doing it
all along for reproductions.

I hope this makes sense. I know it's not ideal to use the same field in two
different ways like this, but so far we haven't been able to come up with
anything better. My first response to Celine explained some of the other
things that we tried and why we ultimately decided on 533 for both the
single and separate record approach.

By the way, there is an interesting discussion about single vs. separate
records occurring on the informal digital registry list, which is basically
just an email list that I have been putting together to coordinate the work
on the guidelines. Originally it consisted of the CIC Digital Resource
Cataloging Task Group and the CONSER group that was looking at
compatibility issues between the aggregator neutral record and the digital
registry record.

It has grown to include people from the PARS Intellectual Access to
Preservation Data Interest Group, the DLF Registry of Digital Masters
Working Group, the Library of Congress, OCLC, and other people who have
expressed an interest in the topic. If anybody from this PCC list wants to
be on that list, please let me know. I would be happy to forward messages
back and forth between lists if everybody on this list wants to know what's
happening on that list, but after awhile that would get to be unwieldy.

Thanks,

Renette