Help for PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCLIST Home

PCCLIST  January 2007

PCCLIST January 2007

Re: ALA meeting - Cataloging locally digitized resources

Renette Davis <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:12:25 -0600

Thanks, Celine, for your comments. I'm going to try to give some background
on how and why it was decided to use the 533 on print version records when
using the single record approach, for anyone who might be interested.

First of all, there are already a number of print version records in the
Registry of Digital Masters with 533, and I think you're right, it is very
difficult to interpret what version these records are. For examples see
OCLC #642567, 17604932, and 19823978.

Early on in our discussions, Robert Bremer from OCLC said that catalogers
are seeing a 533 reproduction note in print version records and assuming
that the record really represents the electronic reproduction itself. As a
result, they are inputting duplicate print version records.

We talked some about using different wording in the subfield a, such as
"Also available as electronic reproduction" rather than "Electronic
reproduction" on the print version records if using a single record
approach. The thought was that this would make it more clear that the
record itself is not for the electronic version.

We also experimented with some other possibilities. We considered adding
detailed information to the 530, but as you pointed out, it doesn't have
good subfielding like the 533. Subfields b, c, and d could not be defined
in the 530 as they are in the 533 because they are already defined for
other purposes in the 530.

Another idea was to use holdings to give details about the electronic
reproduction. We experimented with 843, which is the holdings equivalent to
bibliographic field 533. At the present time, however, there are a number
of issues in implementing the holdings approach. Holdings records are often
not indexed or easily integrated with bibliographic records, and only
bibliographic records are available for OAI harvesting, which is a goal for
digital registry records.

Another possibility was to use a 776 in the print version record to
indicate the existence of, and give details about, the electronic version.
It would not point to an electronic version record, because there would be
no electronic version record if the single record approach was being used,
but rather it would be used to give details about the electronic reproduction.

However, there were some problems with using the 776. In addition, it is
expected that at some time in the future, a holdings approach may be able
to be used. The other digital registry fields, 533, 538, 583, and 856 are
all valid in the holdings format, but the 776 is not. Therefore, the
Digital Library Federation Registry of Digital Masters Working Group
decided that 533 was the best way to go.

It was decided that subfield a should include wording like "Also available
as electronic reproduction" rather than "Electronic reproduction" in the
print version record when using a single record approach, to help make it
clear that this is not the electronic version record. When using a separate
record approach, the wording in the electronic version record would be
"Electronic reproduction."

To answer your question about why we are using a 533 in the electronic
version record when using a separate record approach, that has been in the
Registry of Digital Masters Record Creation Guidelines - available at
http://www.diglib.org/collections/reg/DigRegGuide.htm - all along. The
draft document Guidance for Cataloging Locally Digitized Resources applies
to resources that already exist in our local institutions which we are
digitizing for preservation purposes, so they clearly are reproductions. We
didn't even discuss the possibility of not following LCRI 1.11A for these.

Thanks for pointing out the relevant documentation from OCLC and LC. I am
assuming that if these guidelines are accepted, that documentation would be
revised.

This draft document, which was an attempt to expand on the DLF Record
Creation Guidelines, was a cooperative effort between members of CONSER, a
CIC Digital Resources Cataloging Task Group, the ALA/PARS Intellectual
Access to Preservation Data Interest Group, the DLF Registry of Digital
Masters Working Group, and staff from the Library of Congress and OCLC. Our
goal has been to come up with something that everyone can live with, so if
other people on this list have comments, we definitely want to hear them.

Thanks,

Renette