Help for PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCLIST Home

PCCLIST  January 2007

PCCLIST January 2007

Re: ALA meeting - Cataloging locally digitized resources

Renette Davis <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:16:48 -0600

Thanks again, Celine, for your comments. I'm going to continue the
discussion by interspersing some comments below, preceded by RD. I'm really
glad to have some input from the PCC monographic cataloging perspective.
We've had some PCC participation from the serials side with people from
CONSER on the group, and I imagine some of the CIC cataloging people are
PCC members, but I think it's good to have the issues discussed on this
list as well.

I don't think this is going to work unless we have broad participation in
the discussion and come up with something that everybody can live with. If
anybody thinks we should take the discussion off this list, let me know,
and I'll add Celine (and anybody else who is interested) to the smaller
group that has been discussing these guidelines. The goal of that group has
been to come up with some guidelines that other people can then react to.
Hopefully we will eventually come up with something that everyone can live
with.

Renette

At 11:09 AM 1/10/2007, you wrote:
>Thanks, Renette.  I can see that you all have given this a lot of thought
>and that your needs are somewhat different from other non-preservation needs.
>
>Because of this, I'm not sure that we are understanding each other so I've
>added a few more comments below and then will wait to hear the results of
>the meeting.  Think of this as fodder for discussion.
>
>Renette Davis wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Celine, for your comments. I'm going to try to give some
>>background on how and why it was decided to use the 533 on print version
>>records when using the single record approach, for anyone who might be
>>interested.
>>
>>First of all, there are already a number of print version records in the
>>Registry of Digital Masters with 533, and I think you're right, it is
>>very difficult to interpret what version these records are. For examples
>>see OCLC #642567, 17604932, and 19823978.
>These records are taking the single record approach to new lengths!  As
>one of my colleagues put it:  "it looks like a poor man's FRBR record!"
>It's hard to know what a public user would make of these, but maybe as
>long as there's a URL, it won't matter.

RD - Yes, "Poor man's FRBR record" is probably a good description! :-) As
you might guess, we had a lot of problems coming up with guidelines for the
single record approach, and there was a time when I was ready to send a
message to the group asking if we REALLY want to be promoting the single
record approach. Before doing that, though, I ran the idea by colleagues
here at the University of Chicago (we use the single record approach) and
there was strong objection to moving to a separate record approach here, so
I didn't send out the message. The fact is that there are a number of
institutions, including the Library of Congress, who use a single record
approach by policy, so what we have tried to do is come up with guidelines
for those who use a single record approach as well as guidelines for those
who use a separate record approach. By the way, the records that I pointed
out above were created before we started working on these guidelines, and
the 533s are not worded in the manner that we are recommending they be
worded in the guidelines. We are recommending using different wording in
subfield a in the 533 for the single record approach, which will hopefully
make it more clear that this is a print version record to which information
about the electronic version has been added rather than a reproduction
record itself.

>>Early on in our discussions, Robert Bremer from OCLC said that catalogers
>>are seeing a 533 reproduction note in print version records and assuming
>>that the record really represents the electronic reproduction itself. As
>>a result, they are inputting duplicate print version records.
>
>We seem to be talking at cross-purposes here.  Outside of the preservation
>world, records with 533 fields have always represented only the
>reproduction.  Someone cataloging the original is not supposed to use a
>record with a 533 field, but input a new record for the print.

RD - This has been true in the past, which is why Robert said that the
records which had been added to the digital registry that were print
version records to which a 533 had been added were causing problems. I had
a hard time with those records myself when I first started looking at
digital registry records. That's the reason we are suggesting that if you
are using a single record approach, adding digital registry information to
the print version record, you should use something like "Also available as
electronic reproduction" instead of "Electronic reproduction" in subfield a
of the 533.  We are hoping that "Also available as electronic reproduction"
would be a clue that this is a print version record, and "Electronic
reproduction" could continue to be a clue that it is an electronic version
record.

>Of course this way of defining and describing a reproduction predates the
>current "single record for multiple formats" environment so it used to be
>understood that one record represented one format, and in records with a
>533, that format was the reproduction.
>Now that single records can represent more than one format and also happen
>to look a lot like the old reproduction records, the waters are very
>muddied, indeed.

RD - I agree. I don't know if we can ever make the water clear, but
hopefully we can un-muddy it somewhat.

>I'm not against redefining the 533 field in the single record environment,
>but just pointing out that while a  revised 533 note looks like a minor
>and harmless change, it actually represents a MAJOR change for many of us.
>
>What you're really saying is: from now on, any record with a 533
>represents both the print and the reproduction.

RD - Not really. A record with a 533 could represent both the print and
reproduction or it could represent only the reproduction. If the subfield a
says something like "Also available as electronic reproduction" the record
represents both the print and the reproduction. If it says "Electronic
reproduction" then it represents only the reproduction. (Actually, because
of LCRI 1.11A, the record describes the print with reproduction information
in the 533, but the record itself is an electronic version record.) Maybe I
should restate this to make it more clear. If the subfield a says something
like "Also available as electronic reproduction", it is a print version
record, using the single record approach to add information about the
electronic version to the print version record. If the subfield a says
"Electronic reproduction" it is an electronic version record, using the
separate record approach and representing the reproduction. (If it is a
serial, it might also represent other electronic versions because we will
be adding information about these reproductions to the aggregator neutral
record when using a separate record approach.)

>In the preservation environment, this makes sense.  In the wider world of
>cataloging, libraries cataloging a reproduction are often doing it because
>they don't have the original.  What would a record for a reproduction-only
>look like?

RD - A record for only the reproduction would look the same as it does now,
i.e., a library that doesn't have the original would only have an
electronic version record for the reproduction. It would either describe
the original with reproduction information in 533 if the library is
following LCRI 1.11A, or it would describe the reproduction with
information about the original in 534 if the library is following AACR2. If
this is a resource that was digitized by one of our libraries, and if the
library which digitized the item used a separate record approach, there
would be an electronic version record that the library which doesn't have
the original could use. If the library which digitized the item used a
single record approach, then the library which doesn't have the original
would have to create an electronic version record. I personally think this
is an argument for always using a separate record approach for things that
we digitize locally, but I don't think I have the energy to pursue that
argument right now.

>  Ironically, we might be forced to go back to following AACR2, basing the
> description on the reproduction alone and adding a note like a 534 to
> describe the original!  Do we know yet what RDA is going to say about
> reproductions and single records?

RD - The RDA FAQ says:

4.12 How will multiple manifestations of the same title be handled in RDA
(the "multiple versions" issue)? Will RDA recommend that we use one
bibliographic record for all manifestations of the same title, will it
recommend that we use a separate bibliographic record for each
manifestation of a title, or both?

These questions address the current practices of how we catalogue multiple
manifestations of the same title. There are two primary techniques in use
for doing this. The first is to create a separate bibliographic record for
each manifestation of a work (as in AACR2). The second involves using the
same bibliographic record (most often that of the print manifestation) for
all manifestations of a title.

RDA is heavily based on the FRBR (Functional Requirements for Bibliographic
Records) model. There are four entity levels in FRBR's Group 1 - work,
expression, manifestation, and item - that point to the creation of a
separate record for each manifestation of a work or expression. Therefore,
RDA will follow the principle of creating a record for each manifestation
of a title.

The technique of using a single record for all manifestations of a work or
expression was developed before the FRBR model was created. Because of
this, a cataloguer could not easily show the relationships between multiple
manifestations of the same title using separate bibliographic records. In
using the FRBR model, RDA will provide guidance on collocation at the
expression and work levels through citations (i.e., uniform titles). In
large part, this is precisely what the single record approach has attempted
to accomplish. The solution in taking advantage of the FRBR model, however,
is in database structures rather than in the rules themselves.

Although the practice of describing multiple manifestations on a single
record is widely used, the JSC sees it as one that prevents agencies from
sharing data effectively and from taking advantage of FRBR. While RDA will
recommend the use of one record for each manifestation, the JSC has agreed
that the technique of using a single record for multiple manifestations of
the same title will be mentioned in RDA's General Introduction. The new
code will not provide any specific guidance for its use in the body of the
rules, however.