Help for PIG Archives

PIG Archives

PIG@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PIG Home

PIG  January 2007

PIG January 2007

Re: Revision of the PREMIS Data Dictionary - call for comments: significantProperties and preservationLevel

Susan Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

PREMIS Implementors Group Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:42:48 +0000

Hi,

I think "significantProperties" should remain with the object - it can
be pretty subjective and closely related to the object. I would favour
option 5 with the addition of the wrapper semantic unit of
"preservationPolicy", as Tobias suggests.

There is, however, a group of semantic units which I would like to see
presented as an entity: environment. We are working on using PREMIS for
preserving personal digital archives of notable individuals. Oftentimes
we can record details of the environment(s) used by the creator in the
production of their archive (because we have access to their computers);
we would love to be able to create this information once and link to it
from the objects derived from that environment, rather than add the same
information to each object. Did the editorial committee discuss this as
a possibility at any stage?

Best,

Susan

Project Manager