ARSCLIST  February 2007

ARSCLIST February 2007

Storing 16" transcription discs

Marcos Sueiro Bal <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:14:03 -0500

Dear all,

I am currently surveying a collection of 1950s 16" transcription
discs. They have been stored flat in foil-lined paper sleeves and
are generally in pretty good shape.

I have two questions for those with the knowledge:

1. Are there storage concerns specific for 16-inchers? Does their
extra mass affect the recommendation for vertical storage (for
example, shelving with dividers closer together)?

2. Is anyone familiar with foil-lined sleeves? I have not seen any
imprinting or other problems with the discs, but is there concern
of outgassing or any other problems? Would you recommend something
a little stiffer?

Thank you in advance to all of you.

Marcos

Marcos Sueiro Bal