ARSCLIST  February 2007

ARSCLIST February 2007

Re: interesting!

"Paul T. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:06:28 -0800

Marcos suggestion is already happening in the publishing business,
wherein authors are doing their own independent "publishing". The big
publishers are / have become only printing companies, requiring authors
to spend their own money for promotions. Having to do that, why not just
do it anyway and get the lion's share of the price instead of 10% or less.
Between publishers, distributors and bookstores 78% or more of the price
of a book is shared by them, not the author...and it takes years to get
noticed by them, if ever. Even for those who publish their own material
they have to pay 55-78% of the price to some distributors like Baker and
Taylor (so they can give 30% discounts to libraries.)

In addition big publishers are only making enough copies for such buyers
as Barnes and Noble and Borders thus making the works unavailable to
independent bookstores.

Is it no wonder then that publishers are having to merge, consolidate
and use backlists? The same is happening to music recordings, and it's
probably time it did. Authors and Artists should have more say about
income as well as distribution.

  Trescott Research  Paul T. Jackson

    Information & Library Development

    26301 SE 424^th St., Enumclaw, WA 98022