ARSCLIST  February 2007

ARSCLIST February 2007

Re: well, this might explain why so many sonic treasures languish in government warehouses

"Andes, Donald" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:13:29 -0800

Maybe it would help to understand that a salary is a mutual agreement
between the person who holds the job and the person who's willing to do
it.

If someone (Athlete, CEO, garbage man) gets a high salary it's because
he believed to bring something worth that price (or more) to the company
paying.

Maybe it's name recognition, maybe ability, maybe both, or maybe he just
has a bunch of friends that give LOTS more money then he is receiving.

At any rate, in this case I believe you have to look at the Board who
hired him.
They are the ones who AGREED to pay the salary.....He merely collects
it.

By the way, here's a Mission Statement from the Smithsonian website.

Secretary Small's Vision
"The Smithsonian is committed to enlarging our shared understanding of
the mosaic that is our national identity by providing authoritative
experiences that connect us to our history and our heritage as Americans
and to promoting innovation, research and discovery in science. These
commitments have been central to the Smithsonian since its founding more
than 155 years ago."

Read it carefully, and maybe you'll understand why it doesn't operate
like your local public library, as some believe it should.

Nowhere in the mission does it does it say "service all requests, or
make everything conveniently available". Nor does it say anything about
preserving, repurposing, or even archiving.

To me, the Smithsonian is an establishment where the government creates
an edible version of "our" National American history, with the
credibility of a lot of old, important stuff behind the magic curtain
and a staff of assumably (word??) knowledgeable "fact checkers" to make
sure details are correct. The idea I get is that you need a very special
reason, and lots of proper credentials to look behind the curtain. And
from the mission, I assume this is what it ALWAYS has been.

I think if the Smithsonian has set the salary, and they pay it; then
it's their business. No one in this forum knows the reason behind the
salary, or really how compitent the man is at his appointed job.

If the Smithsonian finds him incapable or overpaid, the Board has clear
means of correcting it.

My 2 cents,

Don Andes
Director of Archives