ARSCLIST  April 2007

ARSCLIST April 2007

Re: Need help with a Revox A77 [?] in Chicago

Jeffrey Kane <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Apr 2007 21:52:42 -0500

You'd be amazed how often I see reels where at some point there's a
crease/fold and *whoops* the tape is now oxide-out! This can happen without
you knowing.

Also, do you know the details of your deck? Is it quarter track? Half track?
Your recordings on the Nagra were either half or full track, and those made
on the B77 could have been half or quarter track (likely half). So, playing
these back on an A77 that's not got the right head configuration could
result in you thinking the tapes don't sound as they should.

Also, some A77s had selectable NAB/CCIR(IEC) EQ. NAB EQ has a high-end boost
that CCIR does not. If your tapes were made with NAB, playing them back with
CCIR EQ would make them sound rather dull. The clear dial behind the Balance
control on some A77s is the EQ switch. If it's on IEC, that may be the
issue.

Finally, not sure what he did to the machine but the A77 is old enough to
have componentry going bad (capacitors drying up, etc). Something could've
failed in the interim. If the repair gent is still there, you'd be well
served to return for a visit to check that all's in good shape
electronically. Take a non-critical tape with you and tell him what you're
not hearing that you should be.

If you don't want to invest any more into the deck, sell it on and look for
an Otari MX5050BII. It's half/quarter track switchable and is easily
switched to work at either 15/7.5IPS or 7.5/3.75IPS. They're also tough as
nails, quite common, and very cheap in the used market.