ARSCLIST  April 2007

ARSCLIST April 2007

Re: Preservation Standard for Sound Recordings?

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:11:46 -0400

Hello, Deena,

IASA TC-04 sets 48 kHz, 24 bits as a recommended minimum for
preservation reformatting with much material benefiting from 96 kHz
24 bit sampling.

In order to decide whether or not to use 48 or 96 ks/s, there are two options:
(1) Do everything at 96 ks/s which I contend is wasteful.
(2) Intelligently (and conservatively) apply when to use 96 ks/s

My current recommendations for this are:
For music and all tapes of 7.5 in/s and all discs use 96 ks/s
For spoken word reels at 3.75 in/s and slower and spoken word
cassettes use 48 ks/s.

Then you place the files in your digital repository and it's done.

In an overall archival context, CD is a stopgap, as is anything short
of a managed digital archive.

The options for copying are:
CD
DVD
RAID hard drives
non-RAID hard drives
LTO Tape

Each has its proponents and each has its detractors. Each has
benefits and each has liabilities.

I am currently working on a 700 hour reformatting project for an
organization loosely tied with the University of Toronto and we're
placing the files on the UofT T-Space (implementation of D-Space)
digital repository. The storage costs there were 1/4 of the cost of
two CD sets for this material and they handle future reformatting
(and possibly even migration) for the up-front fee.

What is Yeshiva University doing for a digital repository?

This is your best bet. I would assume that YU is doing something.
Most universities are. D-Space was developed jointly by MIT and
Hewlett Packard. There is other software that may be superior to
D-Space--at least that's what I've been told, but I'm not judging
that, I trust and entrust the selection to the people responsible for
long-term digital preservation and access within each community. I
know Stanford as a digital repository--I've digitized material that is in that.

Access copies would be MP3s or the WAV files themselves.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Richard