ARSCLIST  April 2007

ARSCLIST April 2007

Re: Slides and inconvenient media (was spin it again)

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:39:54 -0400

I'd like to wish the same thing but I think it unlikely. Habits and tastes get formed when you're
young and the modern taste is for convenience and instant random access above all else. Also, the
younger-generation is very self-oriented, so an experience that make one feel small and/or
insignificant is probably very jarring and unpleasant. Yet, IMAX survives and some wonderful IMAX
films have been made in recent years. But it's more a museum-type spectacle -- akin to a trip to
Disney World as opposed to something they'd want to experience often. When VHS movies and rentals
came along, I remember a conversation with my mother, who grew up during the Depression when the big
treat/escape of the week was a Saturday afternoon in the air-conditioned movie theater. She could
never understand how anyone would choose to watch a movie on a TV screen. It was a totally different
media and experience to her generation. Now fast-forward 25 or so years, maybe a little bit more,
and I and most of my friends much prefer watching a DVD at home to dealing with an overpriced,
filthy, stinky and loud movie theater. The number of screens in the US has declined since a wave of
over-building in the 90's and now there's talk in Hollywood of releasing DVD, broadcast rights and
big-screen all at the same time. Plus wide/flat "high-def" TV's are selling fast and are already
commoditized. I betcha there will be half the number of movie screens as today in another decade.
The experience will be more limited to fewer people and will not be a mainstream way to in-take
moving images. The big question is, will broadcast TV go the same way in a generation or so, making
all entertainment instant-access and completely able to view any part of any program for any length
of time on any screen anywhere? If you listen to the dot-bombers that's where everything is headed.

There are huge ramifications for the business of archiving and the very nature of archives in all of
this. Oh, and to beat the familiar drum, all of this argues for actively-managed digital archives
that can easily migrate to the latest/greatest format and delivery medium.

-- Tom Fine