ARSCLIST May 2007

Re: Mass Digitization

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 May 2007 19:07:38 -0400

text/plain

With tape splices, at least tape splices used quite frequently in commercial music and voice-over
editing, there's no automated way to replace or fix them. There are many different crossfade
splicing techniques and some editors were so good they could splice on the fly without a standard
Editall block. Steve, I figure you must have seen some more creative splices cross your studio? How
could you automate fixing those? Working with more private-collection "civilian" tapes than
commercial masters, I've seen plenty of splices that were obviously made with scissors and pick your
tape type. The non-standard splice angle is the least problem, and the crooked edges before and
after the splice aren't the biggest problem. No, the biggest problem is that name your tape left
name your residue and some of the glues are so volatile that they actually bond into acetate or
polyester and cannot be chemically washed off. My solution to that is minimize the splice-bump on
the back of the tape by very, very careful peeling of the residue raised above the backing surface.
Er, you got a machine that can do any of this? I didn't think so! If I were sitting on a large stack
of material needing transfer, the LAST place I'd throw money is a fool's quest for some monster
machine. Instead, I'd be out recruiting the most efficient and skilled workers I could find so we
could successfully live the mantra -- DO IT RIGHT AND DO IT ONCE.

By the way, Hollywood understands this and spend big on expertise to restore and preserve sound and
picture elements. Yes, some processes have been automated, but much is still done painstakingly by
hand, and if you talk to the old-schoolers they wish more were still being done by hand because the
machines screw things up all the time and it costs good money to get a skilled expert to fix the
screwups. Hollywood has a business model that allows top-drawer people and equipment. I'll agree
from the outset that most or none of us have a similar business model. So our magic bullet is
efficiency through great management (ie skilled and smart humans making great decisions about
priorities and skilled humans doing it right and doing it once).

-- Tom Fine