ARSCLIST  May 2007

ARSCLIST May 2007

Re: Mass Digitization / the gear DOES exist, what next??]

Jim Lindner <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 May 2007 14:04:54 -0400

Glad to see that this has turned out to be such an active thread.
Here are a few "datapoints" of information that may help based on
some of the points raised.

First - in the metadata arena - there has been a great deal of work
done in the AV area over the past 5 years - so do not despair that
appropriate metadata dictionaries and structures appropriate for AVdo
not exist. They do - and several of them - that may be a problem in
and of itself - but several of you think that there has not been work
done in this area - or work that is appropriate done - and that is
not the case. You can start with MPEG-7 as something to look at -
there is a tremendous amount of information available as well as
tools available. Here is one place to start your journey:
http://vega.icu.ac.kr/~mccb-lab/publications/Paper/
Ryu_ACM_Multimedia2002.pdf

Another recent effort by PBS is here:
http://www.pbcore.org/

and there are several others including a european effort P/META and
interchange mechanisms between different systems:
http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_284-hopper.pdf

There are efforts that are more particularly structured to the
library community needs like Mets (no not the baseball team...)
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/

and there are many others - but to say that this work has not been
done is not correct. Plenty of work has been done - no wheel needs to
be reinvented in this particular area.

There has also been a great deal of work done on repositories - and
definitions of what they are, and are not. A good place to start is
OAIS which was originally a NASA effort but has been continued and
expanded by OCLC and RLG and the library community in general. There
is a ton of information - here is one place to start:
http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/archive/2000/lavoie/
and here:
http://www.rlg.org/en/pdfs/pm_framework.pdf
and you can google your way from here.

There have also been "organizations" involved on many different
levels - NDIPP is one that has been in the news very recently - a
$100 million public/private sector effort (currently threatened it
seems).
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/partners/
an article about it yesterday
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/15/
AR2007051501873.html:

And this is just one - there are many efforts underway on an
international basis - and the problem is not always money. There
projects underway that have major funding support in many countries.
Sweden is one, The Netherlands is another, in the USA the Library of
Congress NAVCC is a very large effort.

The efforts that I believe that this community can best help with are
the technical ones - and specifically - starting to think very
differently about mass migration and how it can and has to be done.
To say that no machine can do what a skilled operator can do - may
not be true - but whether it is or not, is in my opinion besides the
point. IF you have 100 tapes to consider preserving - fine - that may
be a worthwhile discussion - but when you have 500 Million of them -
then that is a very different story. In fact many machines are
possible that do as good or better work then humans - particularly if
the work is repetitive - and can do work to far better tolerences
then humans are capable of. I don't think that this is a very
difficult argument - just look at your lcd screen on your computer -
or your keyboard. Machines CAN do good work. What is required,
however, is for this field to start thinking differently - about
working on a much larger scale then it has ever done - and to discuss
precisely how that can happen. The Prestospace project has done a
great deal of work in this area - they have developed a non-contact
Magneto Optical head for the playback of 1/4" recordings. They have
developed a non-contact technique for playback of 78's (actually
there are a few of those efforts underway internationally), the
splicing machine I mentioned - and many more. But this is just a start.

One person made a comment about giving me blank checks - while I
appreciate the tongue and cheek humor - I clearly stated that we
would appreciate MORE competition - MORE input - MORE ideas. The task
is far too big for any single vendor - and far too big for one or
even a half dozen different approaches. I hope this information is
helpful

Jim Lindner

Email: [log in to unmask]

   Media Matters LLC.
   SAMMA Systems LLC.
   450 West 31st Street 4th Floor
   New York, N.Y. 10001

eFax (646) 349-4475
Mobile: (917) 945-2662
Office: (212) 268-5528

www.media-matters.net
Media Matters LLC. is a technical consultancy specializing in
archival audio and video material. We provide advice and analysis, to
media archives that apply the beneficial advances in technology to
collection management.

www.sammasystems.com
SAMMA Systems provides tools and products that implement and optimize
the advances in modern technology with established media preservation
and access practices.