ARSCLIST  May 2007

ARSCLIST May 2007

Re: What is a Milk Box ? (was Moving Sound Recording Collections)

David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 May 2007 11:43:04 -0400

D P Ingram wrote:
> On 26 maj 2007, at 04.47, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
> >> that exact same order! I moved about 300 milk boxes full of 78's...
>

> For the benefit of those who are not Canadian, what is a "milk box". Is
> it a box used to store milk bottles (?). And how big are them?  We have
> milk cartons but you'd not get a 78 rpm record in it, well you might,
> but you first have to send it via U.S.P.S. in a plain envelope (or the
> postal service of your choice) in a plain envelope sans packaging marked
> fragile.

Actually "milk crates", made of sturdy plastic and used by the milk company to
ship large (what used to be gallon) jugs of milk to the grocer. Each one holds
4 of the large jugs. Until some time in the 70s these crates were large enough
to hold 12" albums with ease, but the dairy industry conspired once it knew
what record collectors were doing with their cases (stealing them from behind
Macs Milk Stores) and foisted "metric" on us, so those crates shrank by about a
half inch. And no, they don't have photos of missing record collectors on the
sides.

dl