ARSCLIST  May 2007

ARSCLIST May 2007

Re: Cedar

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 May 2007 12:55:05 -0400

It seems to me we are looking Cedar as an either/or choice, the or being
very much less expensive solutions which do not deliver as good a finished
product.

Setting aside operator skills, ther is much to be said for many of the tools
in Sound Forge as the equal of or superior to Cedar, so long as you are
working in 24 bits.  On the other hand, they carelessly neglected to provide
the means of saving some of the important recording options in their "save
as" menu. You can work in 88.2/24, for instance, but it must be up-or-down
dithered to be saved.

There are various plug-in in the $ 500-$2500 range that puport to do what
the various features of Cedar do, and as well, including a dethump module.

Testing these is always an empirical he said/she said situation.  And, in
the middle of testing, upgrades are introduced unevenly- one product lags
another in getting changes (sometimes improvements) to market.  And who can
afford to test these products to a protocol- by the time a decision is
ready, the market has moved on an upgrade or so for the lot.

In addition, I'm seeing features from one family of programs showing up in
others, apparently licensed.  One giveaway is if an occassional word in a
dropdown menu of a U.S. product includes a German word that wan't translated
in the haste to get the upgrade out.  I've seen this twice now.

So how does one decide?