ARSCLIST  May 2007

ARSCLIST May 2007

NZ jobs - Archivist - Audio Preservation & Archivist (Cataloguer/Researcher)

John Kelcher <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 May 2007 14:48:41 +1200

Archivist (Cataloguer/Researcher)

Radio New Zealand Sound Archives Nga Taonga Korero seeks a full-time
cataloguer/researcher to join our Christchurch team. We are charged with
selecting, preserving and providing access to broadcasts and recorded
programmes which capture the state of the nation on a day-to-day basis,
record decisive moments in New Zealand history and capture the diversity
of radio in New Zealand. We have two sites, one in Christchurch and one
in Auckland. Sound Archives in Christchurch holds thousands of hours of
audio, covering a broad range of material and dating from the 1920s to
the current day. Nga Taonga Korero in Auckland holds Radio New Zealands
collection of recorded taonga, over half in te reo Maori. There is also
a collection of programmes and recordings made in the 1980s and 1990s in
several Pacific Island languages. We warmly welcome applicants who will
help us reflect New Zealands cultural diversity.

We are wholly owned by Radio New Zealand, New Zealands non-commercial
public radio network, and separately funded by NZ On Air to act as a
national broadcast radio archive. We are very aware of the importance of
looking after our audio history - preserving that history and making it
available to people for research, personal interest or inclusion in new
programmes and productions.

We are in a development phase as we aim to make our collections more
available to the public and searchable online. This role is key to this
development by assisting with the proper documentation of our
collections and fielding requests for material from the public and our
clients, to help promote the archive.

The successful applicant will bring library skills (including a
qualification), enthusiasm for making information and material available
from the collections, well developed listening skills and
interest/expertise in recorded sound

For a position description and application form, contact
[log in to unmask] . Applications close at 12:00 noon on Friday, 8 June
2007.

Archivist - Audio Preservation

Are you a proficient handler of sound and sound equipment, with
archival interests that you would like to further develop? Are you a
team player, with some experience in research techniques? Would you like
to be based in Christchurch? If you can answer Yes to these questions,
Sound Archives would like to discuss this opportunity with you. We
warmly welcome applicants who will help us reflect New Zealands cultural
and ethnic diversity.

The Archivist, Audio Preservation makes digital copies of at-risk older
materials in the extensive Sound Archives collections and documents the
new materials for our databases. In addition, the successful applicant
will assist in locating and providing copies of requested materials for
people engaged in a wide variety of research and production activities
who make use of Sound Archives collections. Occasional studio operating
duties also form part of the mix of responsibilities.

An experienced sound archivist is preferred; however, if an entry-level
appointment is made, full training will be given to the right person.

For a position description and application form, contact
[log in to unmask] . Applications close:12:00 noon on Friday, 8 June
2007