Help for EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  May 2007

EDUCAT May 2007

Re: "Informing the Future of MARC: an empirical approach"

Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 May 2007 20:35:53 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Trickey, Keith wrote:

> Before we get carried away by the seeming inefficiency of a format
> that is so little used (i.e. 10 to 20 % of fields). We need to keep in
> mind the Pareto principle - that 80% of the use is accounted for by
> 20% of the items. Every item has a 245 far fewer items have a 511 -
> therefore the field is less used

I have a vague memory of a meeting being held in the late 60s, early 70s,
by the major users of MARC to come up with ways to simplify it, i.e.,
remove fields that weren't being used.  Nothing came of the effort since
the fields that one group found useless were highly valued by another
group.  There was nothing that everyone could agree on as being not
needed.

Judith Hopkins				[log in to unmask]
Norcross, GA  30092-1872		[log in to unmask]

      Web page: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh/