Help for EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  May 2007

EDUCAT May 2007

Re: Teaching Cataloging and Classification - AACR2?

Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 May 2007 14:56:44 -0700

Re: the original question about RDA.  I will continue to require
AACR2, and hope against hope the ALA will supply enough copies for my
students to buy it at the last minute.  I don't think RDA's reached
the stage where we know how it's going to be used, so it would be
hard to teach anything that students could rely upon when it is
implemented. This is especially true when you consider the
announcement (made via Karen Coyle on NGC4LIB) that there will be an
extensive new collaboration with the DC community for a Data Element
Vocabulary.

http://www.bl.uk/services/bibliographic/meeting.html

All we can do is say "Here's where it stands today," and that may be
vastly different from when we teach about in Week 3 of the Fall
Semester!

It seems that actual examination of the text should be in advanced
classes, not in basic ones.

>By the way, for those who teach face to face (something I used to do
>on an almost daily basis), does anyone share my concern about the
>new rule numbering system in RDA (one of the few things that it is
>now confirmed)? Almost impossible to remember (no alphabets, only
>numbers) and hard to cite in a classroom without your novice
>students having their impressions confirmed that cataloguing is far
>too convoluted (let's look at rule 3.2.3.2.3a etc.).

This is a major concern of mine. It's a great joy when students
finally get the connection between ISBD as an international standard,
and the extent of an ISBD description and how that all fits together
in AACR2 rule numbering. RDA has no similar model to hang numbers on.
I can't even imagine how working catalogers are going to keep the
numbers straight.

Maybe we should write clever, Gilbert & Sullivanesque mnemonic songs
for students to memorize?

--
Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala
Adjunct Assistant Professor

The views expressed here are my own and not those of UIUC or GSLIS.