Help for MODS Archives

MODS Archives

MODS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

MODS Home

MODS  May 2007

MODS May 2007

Re: "element mods not declared" errors from xmllint

Mark Jordan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 May 2007 08:46:14 -0700

Hi Ray,

Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote:
> From: "Mark Jordan" <[log in to unmask]>
>> I am validating the following MODS document against a local copy of
>> http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/xml.xsd (using "xmllint --schema
>> xml.xsd record.xml"):
>
> To elaborate on my previous post: are you validating against a local copy of
> the MODS schema (as well as the xml.xsd schema)?

A local copy of the MODS schema
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-3-2.xsd). Sorry I didn't
clear up my earlier mistake of validating my MODS file against xml.xsd.

>> Also, if I want to batch validate a few thousand similar records, is
>> using the schema at http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/xml.xsd still the
>> preferred way to do it (see
>> http://osdir.com/ml/text.mods/2007-01/msg00004.html).
>
> No. There is no preferred way, if you want to validate locally, fine, but
> you need a local copy of MODS in order to reference the xml schema.  As
> noted in the message you cite:
>
> copy the MODS schema
>> to your local system), change the line
>>
>> <xsd:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace";
>> schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd"/>

>> <xsd:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace";
>> schemaLocation="http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/xml.xsd"/>--Ray

Thanks for the tip -- I now have a local copy of xml.xsd and
mods-3-2.xsd, and I've changed the schemaLocation in the MODS schema to
point to my local copy of xml.xsd.

Now that I have my schema files sorted out, it appears that, as Erik
suggested, different versions of xmllint produce different results. On
the machine I was working on (a RedHat Enterprise server), the version
of xmllint that is installed is:

xmllint: using libxml version 20510
    compiled with: FTP HTTP HTML C14N Catalog DocBook XPath XPointer
XInclude Iconv Unicode Regexps Automata Schemas

A newer version of xmllint on a different machine (my mackbook) works.
Its version info is

xmllint: using libxml version 20622
    compiled with: Threads Tree Output Push Reader Patterns Writer SAXv1
FTP HTTP DTDValid HTML Legacy C14N Catalog XPath XPointer XInclude Iconv
ISO8859X Unicode Regexps Automata Expr Schemas Schematron Modules Debug.

This version can validate my file. However, using exact copies of both
schema files and the record.mods file (scp'ed from my laptop to the
server), the older version of xmllint fails to validate the MODS file.
I've attached errors captured to a file if anyone is interested, but it
appears using a later version of xmllint solves the problem.

Thanks both of you for your help,

Mark

Mark Jordan
Head of Library Systems
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Voice: 778.782.6959 / Fax: 778.782.3023
[log in to unmask] / http://www.sfu.ca/~mjordan/

compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element subject type subjectType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element hierarchicalGeographic type hierarchicalGeographicType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element dateIssued type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element language type languageType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element dateValid type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element edition type editionType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element extension type extensionType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element physicalLocation type physicalLocationType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element originInfo type originInfoType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element namePart type namePartType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element recordChangeDate type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element temporal type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element role type roleType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element relatedItem type relatedItemType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element place type placeType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element mods type modsType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element recordContentSource type sourceType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element dateModified type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element part type partType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element dateOther type dateOtherType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element titleInfo type titleInfoType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element tableOfContents type tableOfContentsType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element text type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element physicalDescription type physicalDescriptionType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element date type baseDateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element typeOfResource type typeOfResourceType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element abstract type abstractType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element recordCreationDate type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element titleInfo type titleInfoType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element placeTerm type placeTermType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element targetAudience type targetAudienceType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element name type nameType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element note type noteType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element dateCaptured type dateCapturedType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element classification type classificationType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element dateCreated type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element recordInfo type recordInfoType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element note type noteType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element detail type detailType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element extent type extentType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element url type urlType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element genre type genreType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element anonelem3 ref to mods not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element location type locationType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element identifier type identifierType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element copyrightDate type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element accessCondition type accessConditionType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element languageOfCataloging type languageType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:element Schemas: element name type nameType not found Schemas: type extension 42 base type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type dateType of type extension 42 not found Schemas: type extension 127 base type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type dateType of type extension 127 not found Schemas: type extension 7 base type baseTitleInfoType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type baseTitleInfoType of type extension 7 not found Schemas: type extension 25 base type resourceType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type resourceType of type extension 25 not found Schemas: type extension 60 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 60 not found Schemas: type extension 62 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 62 not found Schemas: type extension 62 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 62 not found Schemas: type extension 97 base type sourceType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type sourceType of type extension 97 not found Schemas: type extension 67 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 67 not found Schemas: type extension 123 base type baseDateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type baseDateType of type extension 123 not found Schemas: type extension 99 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 99 not found Schemas: type extension 60 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 60 not found Schemas: type extension 99 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 99 not found Schemas: type extension 123 base type baseDateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type baseDateType of type extension 123 not found Schemas: type extension 7 base type baseTitleInfoType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type baseTitleInfoType of type extension 7 not found Schemas: type extension 123 base type baseDateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type baseDateType of type extension 123 not found Schemas: type extension 97 base type sourceType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type sourceType of type extension 97 not found Schemas: type extension 67 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 67 not found Schemas: type extension 25 base type resourceType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type resourceType of type extension 25 not found Schemas: type extension 97 base type sourceType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type sourceType of type extension 97 not found Schemas: type extension 7 base type baseTitleInfoType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type baseTitleInfoType of type extension 7 not found Schemas: type extension 99 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 99 not found Schemas: type extension 42 base type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type dateType of type extension 42 not found Schemas: type extension 62 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 62 not found Schemas: type extension 60 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 60 not found Schemas: type extension 127 base type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type dateType of type extension 127 not found Schemas: type extension 42 base type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type dateType of type extension 42 not found Schemas: type extension 67 base type unstructuredText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type unstructuredText of type extension 67 not found Schemas: type extension 127 base type dateType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type dateType of type extension 127 not found Schemas: type extension 25 base type resourceType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:extension Schemas: base type resourceType of type extension 25 not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attribute Schemas: attribute authority type placeAuthority not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attribute Schemas: attribute type has no type nor reference compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attribute Schemas: attribute type type codeOrText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attribute Schemas: attribute anonattr131 reference lang not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attribute Schemas: attribute type type codeOrText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attribute Schemas: attribute authority type placeAuthority not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attribute Schemas: attribute dateLastAccessed has no type nor reference compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attribute Schemas: attribute version type versionType not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attribute Schemas: attribute type type nameTypeAttribute not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attribute Schemas: attribute type type codeOrText not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup74 reference simpleLink not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup75 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup83 reference simpleLink not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup113 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup14 reference simpleLink not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup33 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup58 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup15 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup130 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup11 reference simpleLink not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup12 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup37 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup65 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup88 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup109 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup79 reference language not found compilation error: file mods-3-2.xsd line 1 element xsd:attributeGroup Schemas: attribute group anonattrgroup112 reference simpleLink not found WXS schema mods-3-2.xsd failed to compile