I am forwarding this to ARSCLIST on behalf of Lou Mallozzi, Executive Director of Experimental Sound Studio in Chicago.
Experimental Sound Studio: http://www.exsost.org/esshome.htm
Public Services Librarian
Allen Memorial Library
University of Hartford
West Hartford, CT 06117
[log in to unmask]
Job Opening -- please post and distribute
Position: Manager, Creative Audio Archive at Experimental Sound Studio.
The CAA Manager position is a part-time contracted position, approximately 32
hours per month, one to two days per week. Average monthly salary is $500 per
month. It is a one-year appointment, and it is renewable, and potentially
expandable, pending funding availability.
The desired starting date for the position is July 14, 2007.
Application deadline June 21, 2007.
Archive and Organization description: The Creative Audio Archive (CAA) is a
dynamic program of Experimental Sound Studio (ESS). The archive houses
collections of audio and related materials related to the history of
exploratory sonic arts. ESS is a non-profit organization founded in 1986 for
the production, promotion, presentation, and preservation of innovative and
diverse approaches to the sonic arts. These ends are accomplished through a
variety of access, artist development, public presentation, and preservation
initiatives. Organizational information available at www.ExSoSt.org.
CAA was initiated at ESS in 2003. It is currently comprised of three
1. approximately 270 recordings of performances, installations, workshops,
artists' projects, and other materials from the 21-year history of ESS
2. recordings of 135 performances from the Links Hall Performance
Series 1987 - 1990;
3. approximately 600 rehearsal, recitation, and performance recordings by
composer and bandleader Sun Ra.
CAA is conceived of as a living archive and not as a passive storage facility.
Thus, in addition to duplication and preservation of recordings, CAA also
provides an on-line searchable catalog of its holdings
(www.creativeaudioarchive.org) and develops public programs for the
interpretation and dissemination of its holdings.
Specific job responsibilities: Working closely with the Executive Director and
Studio Manager of ESS, the CAA Manager will be responsible for the following:
1. Coordinating the transfer, duplication, and cataloging of sound material
housed in CAA.
2. Organization, processing, arrangement, and description of audio and media
material using Encoded Archival Description (EAD) and International Association
of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (IASA) standards.
3. Working with two database and internet consultants on the regular updating
of CAA's on-line catalog.
4. Organizing exhibitions and related outreach of CAA.
5. Researching potential new collections for CAA.
Specific job requirements:
1. some familiarity with archiving and preserving diverse forms of audio and
2. some familiarity with Encoded Archival Description (EAD) and XML;
3. a commitment to contemporary and exploratory music and art forms, and to
their integration in the public sphere;
4. excellent organizational skills;
5. the ability to work independently.
Interested applicants should send a brief resume and letter before June 21 by
e-mail to ESS Executive Director Lou Mallozzi at <[log in to unmask]>. Inquiries
for further information can be made to the same address. Please do not call.