Posted on behalf of colleagues:
July 18, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m (EDT). - Declaring Independence: Beyond the Fourth of July
Everybody knows we celebrate the 4th of July because that's the day we declared independence. But there's more to the Declaration of Independence story than just one day or even just one document. Library of Congress librarians will show the Declaration of Independence as it evolved from an idea to an event, looking at a variety of drafts and editions of Declaration and related documents.
When: Wednesday, July 18, 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.), 1:00 p.m. CST
NOTE: Allow yourself time to download the small software plugin needed to participate in the conference. Depending on your network security requirements, you may need assistance from your local technical support group to download and install the plugin. Actual installation should be very quick, depending on your computer and connectivity.
1. Go to http://22.214.171.124/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs1641902f62b4
2. Click the "Download Here" button in the light blue rectangle in the center of the screen.
3. Follow the directions to download and install the plugin.
4. Click the link in the orange rectangle to enter the room.
5. A gray box will appear with text asking permission to launch an external application, webconference plugin. When the grayed out text "Launch application" becomes black, click the Launch application button.
6. Type your name for the conference, leave the password field empty, and click "Log on" to enter the online conference.
For Library of Congress resources on the Declaration of Independence, see http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/ourdocs/DeclarInd.html.
For more information on services offered by the Digital Reference Team, see Virtual Programs and Services at http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/
To learn more about Library of Congress resources, see http://www.loc.gov/.
For more information about upcoming programs, see Online Programming for All Libraries (OPAL) at http://www.opal-online.org/progschrono.htm.
Digital Reference Team
The Library of Congress