ARSCLIST  July 2007

ARSCLIST July 2007

Re: Urgent Message From SaveNetRadio

Bob Olhsson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:21:39 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From Dismuke: "...If you are so anti - "multimillion dollar
corporations"   then you are on the WRONG side of this
battle. (For the record, I am NOT anti multimillion
dollar corporations.  First off, two million dollars
of capitalization in today's world is jack squat."

I happen to think YOU are on the wrong side of this issue but the only thing
I'm asking is that people examine all sides before believing that the
Digital Media Association OR the RIAA is any friend of music.

The theory of "exposure" has been held up as the excuse for every rip-off
performers have ever been subjected to. My position is that radio stations
that can't be bothered hiring musicians and producing original music ought
to pay plenty and are not owed anything at all by the performers who provide
them with listeners. Two million dollars is one hell of a lot more than all
but a handful of people in music will ever see for a lifetime of work. You
are telling us that people who have mostly been forced to live below the
poverty line in order to pursue their passion ought to be subsidizing your
passion which deserves more than two million dollars of capitalization?

Can you name even one artist that net radio exposure has single-handedly
made a lot of money for? The DMA spent two years trying to convince a panel
of judges and now an appeals court that artists deserved less than a 6%
increase in the royalty cap. They failed.

I'm sorry, the facts don't support the exposure theory. I simply don't buy
that the many sins of the RIAA somehow excuses net radio from paying musical
artists less than what a court determined is reasonable compensation after
years of presentations from all sides. Yes, the RIAA provided SoundExchange
with their first year's office space and operating expenses however
SoundExchange is NOT the RIAA by any stretch of the imagination.

I also think the US Congress has far more important issues to deal with at
the moment than requiring impoverished artists to give up a few hundred
dollars a year in order to subsidize net radio. Artists ought to get paid a
lot more because radio ought to pay a lot more than this artificial cap. Net
radio also ought to be demonstrating a lot more creativity than just
streaming a bunch of other peoples' audio from a server.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com