ARSCLIST  July 2007

ARSCLIST July 2007

Re: Urgent Message From SaveNetRadio

Dismuke <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:35:07 -0700

--- Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   The alternative you suggest on the URL below
> sounds reasonable to me. Is there anyway to share
> this idea with broadcasters or someone in Congress?

AND

http://tinyurl.com/2z3u3z

>   It seems like you have concept that has some
> potential. Is there a forum where this could be
> shared where a consensus could be developed and
> promulgated to those who are empowered to make
> change?

Thank you for saying that.

I really don't know if there is such a forum or not.
I have brought the issue up on a private webcasters
forum and discussed it in a few discussion board and
blog postings.  But beyond that, I really don't know
how to get the idea out to a wider and more
influential readership.  If anyone knows of such a
place or of such people who might be interested, by
all means feel free to send them a link to my posting.

As I mentioned in my posting, however, I think the
RIAA would fight against such a proposal tooth and
nail.  I don't for a minute believe that the RIAA is
actually interested in protecting anyone's copyrights
other than their own.  The RIAA right now is on a free
fall death spiral - and that makes it extremely
dangerous because it still has enormous wealth and
political influence thanks to its legacy revenue
streams that, while declining, are still substantial
and coming in.   The RIAA labels know better than
anyone else that they are technologically obsolete and
that there is no longer a need for the services that,
in the past, earned them their significant wealth and
market share.  Being part of a dying industry and a
dying company is a VERY painful thing to go through -
I have been there myself.  In the case of the RIAA, it
has apparently become so painful that they have lost
all sense of morality and decency and are guided by
nothing more than a desperate ends justifies the means
at all costs mentality.

The RIAA has entire armies of copyright and
intellectual property rights attorneys.  I have a very
hard time believing that some nobody from Fort Worth
who only has but one name and plays 1920s and 1930s
music on the Internet and who is not educated on legal
matters could come up with a free market licensing
scheme that has not already occurred to at least one
of the many lawyers and experts in the RIAA's army.
If the RIAA had a desire for a system similar to what
I proposed, I suspect that their lobbyists would have
been able to get it through Congress VERY early on in
the 1990s before there were any significant webcasters
to speak of even on the scene.   The would have had no
problem putting it through because I don't think
anyone of political significance would have opposed
it.  The AM/FM crowd might have been concerned - but
so long as it was strictly limited to digital
broadcasts, I don't think the AM/FM industry would
have been any more opposed to that than they might
have been to what eventually passed anyway.

But again, if anyone thinks my proposal has merit and
knows of a place where it might be appreciated and/or
given serious consideration, by all means let them
know and me know.