ARSCLIST  July 2007

ARSCLIST July 2007

Re: 78s, SoundExchange, & SaveNetRadio-Tom & Mal

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:03:24 -0400

Hi Sam:

Very interesting. Thanks.

I'll say it one more time, it would be very much against copyright owners' interests to kill
internet streaming "radio," in my opinion. I think there's a lot of hot air on both sides of the
issue and I think since we live in a relatively market-oriented economy, the profit motive will win
and what will probably result is that bigger net-streamers will pay bigger fees but not enough to
kill them and smaller net-streamers will probably have a lesser fee if they can prove lesser
profitability. I would hope, given that all but EMI of the major record companies are
publicly-traded (EMI is about to be bought by a private-equity firm), that the dealings of their
industry association is aimed at maximum long-term sustainable profits for the companies, and
killing off a source of revenue is not good business.

-- Tom Fine