ARSCLIST  July 2007

ARSCLIST July 2007

Re: Copyright Extension Rejected In UK

phillip holmes <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:50:15 -0600

Even if an artist lives to see his copyrights expire, there will still
be a market for his/her "authorized" releases.  They can even have
"value added" features that the competition wouldn't have, like a signed
certificate of authenticity and/or picture of the artist and/or
personalized thank you from the artist.  Hell, if your 80-90 years old,
and still able to think/write/dress yourself, that would be a good way
to spend your day.  Get up, sign a form letter with a serial number with
the buyer's name.  I think most musicians wouldn't have to worry about
copyrights that much if they were willing to take control of their own
destiny.  Too many sign papers and wait for money to come in like it was
manna from heaven.  Yes, it's part of what makes a musician who they are
to disregard more mundane things like bills and retirement, but that
doesn't excuse the irresponsibility (I'm not accusing all musicians of
being irresponsible).  They should exercise stewardship over what they
have.  Recently, Speakers Corner reissued a Mercury box set of Bach's
Suites for Unaccompanied Cello with Starker.  First of all, the quality
of the product was actually better than the original pressing.  That's
rare.  Then, Mr. Starker wrote some comments and an appreciation for Bob
Fine.  Also, he signed the first 1,000 copies.  I may be wrong, but I
don't see Janos Starker bitching and moaning while he wrote the comments
and/or signed those limited number of pressings.  On the contrary, if I
know my classical musicians, I bet he was happy as a lark to do it.
Phillip