I agree with Michael. This should be dealt with as soon as possible.
+1 to zbl
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee
> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Everson
> Sent: 01 August 2007 09:22
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: ISO 639-2 proposal: Blissymbols; Blissymbolics;
> Bliss - Discussion
> I proposed zbl for Blissymbols on 2006-06-14.
> I sent a reminder about it 2006-10-20.
> Håvard opened discussion until 2006-11-10.
> Håvard should have issued his ballot on 2006-11-11.
> On 2006-10-25 Peter said:
> >I don't want to block new proposals that have already been
> >but as discussed in our teleconference yesterday, there are various
> >issues that need to get resolved before 639-3 can be
> published (ballot
> >will be closing in the next few weeks; I'm preparing info on
> the open
> >issues and will send that out shortly). Between that and other open
> >proposals Havard is working to bring to closure, I think it would be
> >helpful if we could hold off on additional *new* proposals (unless
> >there is an important and urgent user need) until we get the issues
> >blocking 639-3 out of the way.
> There **is** an important and urgent user need (as I said in
> response to him on 2006-10-25).
> Bliss is being built into software products alongside
> languages like English, Swedish, Icelandic, French, Finnish,
> etc etc etc. We want to tag web pages. We (I speak as a
> member of the UK affiliate of Blissymbolics Communication
> International) did not ask for the tag out of idle interest.
> I was, frankly, surprised to find when I checked that it had
> not been approved already.
> I think we have been more than patient with the endless
> discussions on Valencian over the last months. Certainly the
> proposal for Blissymbols comes now as no surprise to the ISO
> 639-3 Secretariat. I do not understand Joan's message.
> I do not think I should have to file a new application for
> Bliss since it is clear ISO 639-3
> On 2006-10-28 Gerhard Budin said:
> >I also agree, it should be included in both, parts -2 and -3
> *****Come on, folks.***** Raise your hands and
> *approve* "zbl" now without dragging your heels on
> *procedure*. And if you have to issue a formal ballot do it
> TODAY. I mean it. Otherwise I shall have no alternative at
> the very least but file a protest with the ISO TC37 Secretariat.
> Telling me that we have to wait until December
> 2007 is ***NOT*** acceptable. We applied for a ISO 639-2
> code, the language exists, there are many documents, the code
> "zbl" is free. Take an executive decision please.
> At 14:19 -0500 2007-07-31, Joan Spanne wrote:
> >The process to submit a request for 639-3 starts with a form:
> >(change request type 5)
> >and continues with another form (since this is for a new
> language, not
> >a change to an existing code element)
> >The next round of requests will be up for formal
> consideration Sept -
> >Dec. and the outcomes will be announced in January 2008. So
> this will
> >not enable you to make your announcement, Michael.
> >My apologies.
> Michael Everson * http://www.evertype.com