Help for MODS Archives

MODS Archives

MODS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

MODS Home

MODS  October 2007

MODS October 2007

Re: request for a new value for type attribute of namePart

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Oct 2007 08:02:21 -0700

This brings up something that does come up occasionally, which is that
we made need a way to indicate which set of "rules" is being applied to
a name. As you say,the same name can be treated differently in different
contexts. So, although we have

Smith, John
Mao, Tse-tung

if we were to display these in their "natural" (cultural?) order they
would be

John Smith
Mao Tse-tung

I don't know whether it makes sense to develop rules, or