Help for MODS Archives

MODS Archives

MODS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

MODS Home

MODS  October 2007

MODS October 2007

Re: request for a new value for type attribute of namePart

joseph greene <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:55:14 +0100

Hello Thomas,

Perhaps this is more an issue of cataloguing rules than of data
structure. (Of course, wouldn't it be nice if the data structure were as
specific as the cataloguing rules!)

For example, the AACR2 (I only have the old 1988 2nd edition on hand),
section 22.5D1, 'Articles and prepositions' states that

'If a surname includes an article or preposition [...], enter under the
element most commonly used as entry element [...] Dutch. If the surname
is Dutch, enter under the part following the prefix unless the prefix is
'ver'. In that case, enter under the prefix.

Beeck, Leo op de
Brink, Jan ten
Ver Boven, Daisy'

(I have to admit, these rules being Anglo-American, they may not be the
best; later on they say: 'Flemish. See Dutch.')

The U.K.'s National Council on Archives concurs:

'In surnames with separable prefixes, use the last word as the entry
element, with cross-references from the prefix plus name in direct order
if the language of origin requires.'

2.3A.2.3 Surname with separable prefixes
http://www.archivesnetworkwales.info/ncarules/rules2.htm#Surnames

So, following your example,

<name>
<namePart type="family">Konig</namePart>
<namePart type="given">Jan de</namePart>
</name>

Best regards,

Joseph Greene

Irish Virtual Research Library and Archive Project (HII),
James Joyce Library,
UCD,
Belfield,
Dublin 4.