Help for PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCLIST Home

PCCLIST  October 2007

PCCLIST October 2007

Re: Seeking information on series practice

John Lavalie <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:38:36 -0500

At the risk of this being a "me too" response, I agree.  It *seems* like
every juvenile non-fiction book is in a series and that I've been adding
more series records since last June.

--
John Lavalie
IAhCCS

Our
> cataloger's toolkit uses the same code to attempt matches between
490:0s
> and
> authority records, and to adjust bibliographic records automatically
as
> needed.
>
> We have seen only a slight increase in the number of series authority
> records created in the past year.  An analysis of LC series authority
> records from previous years suggested that most of them were for
series
> that
> never appeared in materials we acquired here, with the implication
that
> LC's
> cessation of series authority record creation wouldn't create much of
> stir
> once the initial noise died down.  A few more records here, and a few
more
> new records at other institutions, and we appear to have filled the
gap
> without putting undue stress on anyone.
>
> At 06:35 AM 10/29/2007, Amy H Turner wrote:
>

> 	In a month or so, the PCC Ad Hoc Series Review Task Force will
post
> a discussion paper on the future of PCC series authority control.   At
> this
> point, we would like to hear from PCC libraries about their current
> practices.  We would also appreciate any information on studies that
have
> been done on how series are used (by both library staff and by other
> users),
> costs of series authority control, etc.
>

> Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc.
> Northwestern University, 1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]   voice: 847/491-2788   fax:
847/491-8306