EDUCAT November 2007

Re: Student use of discussion lists

"Joudrey, Daniel" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:20:08 -0500

Hi Janet,

I require the advanced cataloging students to monitor the digests,
but I do not use AUTOCAT for any of their assignments. They are not
required to participate on the list in any way. In fact, I stress
that they should be observers to get an understanding of the
questions that catalogers might ask. The point is for them to take
this experience back into the classroom for discussion.

While I mention AUTOCAT in the core Information Organization course,
I do not ask the intro students to subscribe to the list. I will
sometimes give the students a handout with a few messages on it from
an interesting thread in order to start a discussion (where to
classify Dinosaurs By Design, for example). Generally, I want to keep
the intro students off the list altogether for a couple of reasons:
1) I don't want them pestering the list denizens with simple
questions, 2) if they have questions, I want them to be asked in the
classroom, and 3) sometimes discussions can confuse students rather
than enlighten them (I want them to master the broad concepts before
delving into the minutiae and the mechanics).

Danny
Daniel N. Joudrey, PhD
Assistant Professor
GSLIS, Simmons College