EAD December 2007

origination use in container lists

John Bewley <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:37:59 -0500

Does anybody have reservations about applying <origination> at the
folder/file/item level in container lists? That is, is anyone reserving its
use for higher level collection co-creators at perhaps the series or
subseries level within container lists? When I search the archives I find
examples of use at the lower level but without questioning if this is
appropriate use of the origination element.

The OAC Best Practice Guidelines (as just one example) , seems ambiguous to
me - does it suggest that creators such as photographers should be stated
using <origination> at the item level?

Mandatory if the creator(s) or collector(s) at the level being desc