ARSCLIST January 2008

Re: CD-R question

John Spencer <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Jan 2008 09:05:31 -0600

Good Morning Tom,

I don't think you snipped the point I was trying to make. Here is a
part of my post:

<snip>
> The quality of the music may be better, but the quality of the
> media (as evidenced by the dumping of crappy CD-R media in every
> store, from Wal-Mart to Walgreens) does not relieve my confidence.
<snip>

My point here is that if someone is going to use CD-R media, PLEASE
don't use the cheap-o stuff that you find literally everywhere.
Furthermore, make multiple copies if you can with different batches
of media. There have been many posts by experts about good and bad
media types.

Regarding any difference of opinion we may have, please understand
that I am not advocating "managed storage with off-site backup" for
the casual collector that wants to digitize his or her holdings.
That's a pretty long leap from burning CD-Rs, and not one that I
would recommend given the scenario. Additionally, I've never
recommended people store files on hard drives - BAD decision.

The points I tried to make (and obviously didn't do a good job!) were:

1. We don't have any idea if optical media PLAYERS will be available
in 50 years
2. Even if I bought a pallet full of CD players, I cannot guarantee
they will operate in 50 years (even if I shrink-wrapped a technician
to store with them)
3. The proliferation of various formats is not necessarily a good
thing (you mention photoCD, I could add many more)
4. The CD players that are being built now are essentially "throw-
aways" (read - junk)

As you mentioned, there are many "in the cloud" storage options that
could be considered as alternate backup locations (Amazon S3, .mac
accounts, etc.). They are popping up every day - however, they too
may go out of business and I'm out of luck....but for now, they are
realistic backup alternatives that are extremely cheap. External
drives as you mentioned are good as well. In the archival world, I
guess they call it "geographical separation" - I would refer to it as
"covering your backside".

It is not a "Kia" vs. "Cadillac" scenario, there are many "Chevrolet
- Ford" solutions out there (but ouch, I hate making digital storage
comparisons to car manufacturers.....).

At the end of the day, the collector that occasionally scans this
list and draws the conclusion that "make a CD-R and you'll be fine"
is, in my opinion, leaving with a misguided mandate.

I have NO problem with well-made CD-Rs - but you have to factor in
the reality that you will probably have to migrate those as well
sometime, to whatever "flavor of the year" is regarding digital
storage available to the masses.

Actively managed storage can take many forms, from full-scale
monoliths with high costs, to simply pulling the CD-Rs you have off
of the shelf every 3-5 years and bumping them to another batch.

John Spencer
BMS/ Chace LLC
email: [log in to unmask]
web: www.bmschace.com