ARSCLIST  January 2008

ARSCLIST January 2008

Re: The "dumbing down" of Downloaded Recordings

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:49:06 -0500

Yeah, I'm with Don. I wouldn't blame Amazon. But I will add something interesting I've discovered --
Amazon doesn't carry quite a bit of in-print classical content that is carried at ArkivMusic. And
it's not just obscure stuff . And I'm also not talking about the stuff that's out of print but Arkiv
has the right to sell as CDR's (the ArkivCD series). Arkiv simply has a larger selection of
classical titles. But, Amazon still carries more than any brick-and-mortor store that ever existed
anywhere near where I've lived in my 41 years. And I did used to make a yearly pilgrimage to J&R
Music World, which had a classical-only store. Same for jazz titles, by the way, and J&R had a
separate jazz-only store too. Amazon has greater variety. And there's the hidden "weapon" of
Amazon's "buy new and used" where you have access to all those smaller sellers with
still-shrink-wrapped out of print titles for sale. I wish Amazon would adopt a browsing interface
more like Arkiv for both jazz and classical but Amazon's search engine is fast and semi-effective
(effectiveness directly related to specificity of search terms).

-- Tom Fine