ARSCLIST  January 2008

ARSCLIST January 2008

Re: CD-R question

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Jan 2008 21:15:36 -0500

You could think, once a medium goes out of "mass" status, how many years until all the playback
equipment dies and nothing new is being made? Well, when exactly? LPs haven't been a mass medium for
almost 2 decades now. Still plenty of turntables and cartridges available and the LP medium has a
healthy niche (some could argue more economically viable than most CD releases). How about
cassettes? They seem to be a quicker-to-the-grave medium. CD's passed cassettes in I believe the
early 90's. But cassettes are still a mass medium in some parts of the 3rd world. You can still buy
a variety of cassette decks and walkmans:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_1?ie=UTF8&search-alias=audio-video&field-keywords=cassette%20player

Now, there's also the argument that magnetic tape and grooved disks are technologies that can be
replicated with mid-20th century level or older technologies whereas CD playback is, well, somewhat
akin to rocket science.

But, 5" discs got another leg with the DVD medium and they might get yet another fresh wind with
hi-def discs. Blowing the other way is the wind of downloads and iPods -- where there are not
physical mass media but rather computer files transmitted over the Internet and then perhaps around
homes to media-less playback systems. I don't doubt the future is one without packaged physical mass
media for audio and video content, but it's not all there yet and the installed and owned base of 5"
discs is enormous (I _think_ that more CD's were sold worldwide so far than all mesaured sales of
all LPs since 1949 -- and that's not counting the fact that there might be a 1:1 ratio or greater of
pressed CD's to legal or illegal copies that are essentially bit-by-bit replicas). Plus, as of now
the quality of the 5" disc media is usually better than what you can get over the ether on your
media-less playback system (that will not be true forever, indeed hopefully not for much longer).

So bottom line, I'll give the 5" discs another 50 years of viability but I don't think they will be
the dominant mass medium in the "first world" for too much longer -- and I think the places still
cassette-dominant will leapfrog over the 5" disc media and go right to the over-ether media-less
model. For what it's worth, I have a 1986 CD player that still works just fine. To my great joy, it
was designed future-looking enough to be able to play most CDR media. The make is Teac and the price
was not very high when I bought it as a poor college kid blowing some summer loot, so this was no
high-grade special machine in its day. My point is, 20-year-old CD technology works fine in a modern
context. I have no reason to believe my 2005 vintage Marantz SACD/DVD/CD player won't work in 20
years. That would get past the 50-year-viability mark for the CD medium (introduced 1982) and I
betcha 5" disc players will be rolling off Asian assembly lines for at least another decade,
probably longer.

Let me just add that I think managed hard-drive-based archiving is a better idea nowadays and will
be an ever-better idea as the storage media get cheaper, denser and hopefully more reliable.

-- Tom Fine