ARSCLIST  January 2008

ARSCLIST January 2008

CD-R error rates

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Jan 2008 01:37:52 -0500

I ran two tests tonight, both using a Plexwriter PX-716A CD/DVD
writer as the writer and a Plexwriter Premium CD writer as the reader
using the PlexTools evaluation software.

They offer three error rates which they call
C1 which is, I believe, the sum of the E11+E12+E13 errors (it's
definitely these errors
       I am just not 100% clear as to the arithmetic process they use
to combine them.
C2 which corresponds to E22
CU which corresponds to E32

One CD was a MAM-A gold archive CD written at 32X (now that
Samplitude supports BurnProof, I thought I'd give this a try).

C1:  4.7 avg/sec, 28.0 Max/sec
C2:  0
CU:  0

Another CD was a MAM-A silver CD written in the same drive a week or
two ago at 16X.

C1:  0.7 avg/sec, 18.0 Max/sec
C2:  0
CU:  0

While one CD does not make solid test, this indicates that the higher
speed produces more errors.

So, looking at it this way, what is an acceptable C1 rate for audio?

I was pleased not to get any C2 errors which Plextor showed in their
documentation as being acceptable at a low rate.

What are others getting?

I had a client ask me how I was burning CDs earlier this year. They
have some flavour of Clover analyzer and my CDs were showing lower
error rates than their in-house CDs--that was a pleasant surprise!
They are burning HHB blanks in HHB audio burners at 1X. Up until
tonight, I had burned at 16x ever since I got the Plexwriter CD/DVD
burners several years ago.

Cheers,

Richard