ARSCLIST  January 2008

ARSCLIST January 2008

Re: Ampex ATR-102 opinion (was MD5 Hash Generators

Scott Phillips <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:32:46 -0600

Well Hi back at you Tom !

I was trying my best to stifle myself there, but the degaussing idea
just so completely had my jaw on the floor. Timing and jitter issues
with digital are real and can make a real audible difference, but they
are a known issues and are handled easily by decent transports and
DAC's, at least on the playback side. There have been some issues with
CD houses that don't deal with jitter well when mastering the CD's...
but then, that is an issue that is best dealt with directly when
mastering any digital format. Not difficult at all, just using proper
care. Every delivery medium has had its problems to be surmounted when
mastering and duplication. Lousy mastering is just that, whatever the
medium. I've gotten lousy vinyl, center hole off center or worse, in the
heyday of the medium. Why would anyone be surprised to find CD's an
exception? Take it back for one correctly made, or something else made
by a company that cares about their product. A dirty or scratched CD is
just that... one could expect less than good results from that.

Even I have said almost word for word the same thing you have written
here more than once... particularly about how if 'regular' audiophiles
understood how 'real world' recordings are actually made (still!!),
there wouldn't be so many heated conversations about silver pickup wires
vs. 2000 strand gold plated pickup wires and which was more accurate.
Not to imply that professionals don't aspire to the highest standards...
just that almost to a one, they don't forget about cost vs. benefits. A
less than perfect recording of a stellar performance beats a perfect
recording of a lousy one every time. Tommy Dowd taught me that one a
very long time ago.

***oops!!! I forgot to stifle !!***   I was determined to keep my mouth
shut. Sorry ... :>)

Scott