ARSCLIST  January 2008

ARSCLIST January 2008

Re: Discography's Demise?

Ernie Longmire <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:57:08 -0800

Doug Henkle wrote:
> I must be the only one who writes strictly for the music fan who
> wants to know what exists so he can start searching for it with the
> reasonable expectation of purchasing it and listening to it.  From this
> point of view, what is the point of my listing a song that was recorded,
> never released, and with reasonable certainty never will be released?

If I could predict the future with such assurance, I'd be spending my
time cataloging Super Lotto numbers instead of matrix number variations
on 12" singles.

If a recording exists, it can be released. The point of cataloging it is
to make sure its existence is documented; it's up to the users of that
documentation to determine what they want to use it for. Among other
things, if you don't know a recording exists, you can't work to get it
issued.  If there are unreleased tracks by [artist X] in the vaults
somewhere, you can be damned sure that SOME fan of that artist wants to
know about it so they can try to get their hands on them.  And if it
turns out nobody ever really cares, so what?  You've wasted a couple
thousand bytes storing the information somewhere.  Big deal.

>> And besides, procedures for cataloging even streaming audio
>> have been documented, so the world will adapt.
>
> I really want to know how documentation can be written today, published in
 > print, and it will be completely accurate and sufficient in order to
 > find a specific MP3 file and listen to it 75 years from now.

1. Acquire file.
2. Generate MusicBrainz fingerprint for acoustic content.
3. Generate MD5 hash for raw data bytes.
4. Write them down.
5. Wait 75 years.
6. Search Intarweb-o-tha-Future for fingerprint and/or hash.
7. Download.
8. Listen.