MODS version 3.3 is now available. The schema is at:
We have been discussing the changes on the MODS list over the last 6-9
months or so and these changes are generally based on those discussions.
Changes from version 3.2 are documented below and also at:
The Outline of elements and attributes and MARC to MODS mappings have been
updated. The MARC to MODS mapping includes not only changes arising from
the new version 3.3, but also from the last few MARC 21 updates.
We are still working on the MARC to MODS stylesheet, the MODS to MARC
mapping, and the MODS guidelines and hope to have them available soon.
1. Increased support for Holdings. See
2. Increased support for rights schemas: extensibility mechanism added
to accessCondition to allow for other more detailed rights schemas
3. Allow typeOfResource to be empty.
4. Add attribute 'authority' to <frequency> under <originInfo>.
5. Add under <recordInfo>, a new element <descriptionStandard> with an
authority attribute, e.g. <descriptionStandard
6. Add under hierarchicalGeographic (under
subject): extraterrestrialArea, citySection.
7. Add Xlink attribute to physicalLocation.
8. Add additional enumerated values for authority under <language>: ISO
639-3 and RFC4646.
Non-substantive but notable changes:
1. For the 'xml:' namespace the
schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd" is changed to
2. For the 'xlink:' namespace the
schemaLocation="http://www.loc.gov/standards/xlink.xsd" is changed to
3. Attribute declarations are substantially consolidated.
4. References to authority lists removed.
^^ Rebecca S. Guenther ^^
^^ Senior Networking and Standards Specialist ^^
^^ Network Development and MARC Standards Office ^^
^^ 1st and Independence Ave. SE ^^
^^ Library of Congress ^^
^^ Washington, DC 20540-4402 ^^
^^ (202) 707-5092 (voice) (202) 707-0115 (FAX) ^^
^^ [log in to unmask] ^^