EAD February 2008

Removing duplicates from reordered list

Michele R Combs <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:31:37 -0500

Hello all --

Let's say I have the following data (forgive the inanely simple
placeholder content!!) :

<c0x>...<unittitle>Apple, still
life</unittitle><origination>Picasso</origination>...</c0x>
<c0x>...<unittitle>Baby, still life</unittitle><origination>Fra
Angelico</origination>...</c0x>
<c0x>...<unittitle>Chair, still
life</unittitle><origination>Picasso</origination>...</c0x>
<c0x>...<unittitle>Duck, still
life</unittitle><origination>Michelangelo</origination>...</c0x>
<c0x>...<unittitle>Elephant, still
life</unittitle><origination>Holbein</origination>...</c0x>
<c0x>...<unittitle>Frog, still
life</unittitle><origination>Michelangelo</origination>...</c0x>
<c0x>...<unittitle>Giraffe, still
life</unittitle><origination>Holbein</origination>...</c0x>
<c0x>...<unittitle>Horse, still
life</unittitle><origination>Picasso</origination>...</c0x>

I want to generate a listing in alpha order by originator, with the
titles in alpha order underneath that, but I don't want to repeat the
originator name -- e.g. I want it to look like this:

Fra Angelico
     Baby, still life
Holbein
     Elephant, still life
     Giraffe, still life
Michelangelo
     Duck, still life
     Frog, still life
Picasso
     Apple, still life
     Chair, still life
     Horse, still life

I've got the list sorted the way I want (first on originator, then on
unittitle) via an xsl:sort inside a for-each, but I can't seem to find a
way to show the author's name only once when I for-each through it.
I've tried checking the preceding <originator> against the current one,
but it apparently checks the preceding one in original document order,
not in the sorted-set order.  Any ideas?  So far I'm stumped but I can't
believe it's this hard!

Thanks --

Michele

Michele Combs.
Librarian for Manuscripts and Archives Processing.
Special Collections Research Center.
Syracuse University Library.
222 Waverly Avenue.
Syracuse, NY   13244