EAD February 2008

Normalizing dates

Victoria West <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:15:18 +0000

Hello

I'm looking for some advice regarding normalizing dates.  We are
currently updating our EAD catalogues to v2002 and thought it would be a
good opportunity to normalize our dates too.  I've seen from previous
messages on this list last year that there are scripts available to do
this, and I think that we will be able to use these.  The problem is
that we already have non-ISO8601 dates normalized dates in the following
format:

<unitdate normal="19530817-19640708">1953 Aug 17-1964 July
8</unitdate>
<unitdate normal="1951xxxx-1962xxxx">1951-1975</unitdate>
<unitdate normal="1970xxxx">1970</unitdate>

The way I understand it the script will only work if you do not already
have anything normalized in the tags.  Can anyone recommend an easy way
of stripping out these dates so that we can then use the script to
insert new ISO8601 ones.

Many thanks in advance

Victoria West

Archivist - V&A Archive
Word and Image Department
Victoria and Albert Museum
Blythe House, 23 Blythe Road, LONDON W14 0QX

Tel: 020 7602 8832
Fax: 020 7602 0980
Email: [log in to unmask]
Visit: http://www.vam.ac.uk/resources/archives/

The V&A's Word & Image Department incorporates the National Art Library
and the Museum's prints, drawings, paintings and photographs
collections.

China Design Now
Sponsored by HSBC
15 March - 13 July 2008 at V&A South Kensington
Book now on www.vam.ac.uk/chinadesignnow

Space Age: Exploration, Design and Popular Culture at V&A Museum of Childhood
24 November 2007 - 6 April 2008
Admission Free

Keep in touch - visit www.vam.ac.uk and sign up for our regular e-newsletter

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended only
for the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or disclosure of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by telephone on 020 7942 2353. This message has been scanned for viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
~