MODS June 2008

Re: uniform titles in mods

Jon Stroop <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:43:57 -0400

Jenn,
I've not done this before with name/title headings, but off the top of
my head wonder if there isn't a way to use XLink.  Seems like that's
sort of what you're trying to do--link the name and title headings
(although it is really one heading to begin with).  I'm probably not
using the xlink attributes correctly here, but I could imagine something
like:

(
    <name type="personal" xlink:type="simple" xlink:title="ME"
xlink:role="name">
        <namePart type="family">Beethoven</namePart>
        <!-- ... -->
    </name>,
    <titleInfo type="uniform" xlink:type="simple" xlink:title="ME"
xlink:role="title">
        <title>Symphonies</title>
        <!-- ... -->
    </titleInfo>
)

As far as I know, our community hasn't really established best practices
for XLink.  Here at Princeton we have done something similar to the
above to link between data available in multiple scripts (Roman and
Arabic, to replicate the use of MARC 880 fields), but I have to admit
that I wasn't very comfortable with it because it wasn't an established
practice.  To me it seemed like the better choice over ID and xlink:href
pairs, because we're not really trying to add navigation or imply a
hierarchy (by linking one TO the other, though maybe that's ok in this
case).

Anyway, I don't have too much experience with XLink, but was just
looking at this article:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/09/xlink/part2.html.  Seems like some of
the other xlink:type values might have some interesting things to offer,
but the MODS schema keeps us limited to xlink:type="simple".

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on this.

-Jon

Jon Stroop
Metadata Analyst
C-17-D2 Firestone Library