Appalachian Music Fellowship Program - 2009
The Berea College Appalachian Music Fellowship Program has been made possible by a grant from the Anne Ray Charitable Trust established by the late Margaret Anne Cargill of La Jolla, California.
The purpose of the fellowship program is to encourage the use of Berea’s non-commercial traditional music collections by graduate students, faculty, public school teachers, performers, and other scholars. Awards are made for a period of one to three months in support of research projects that will contribute to the preservation or promotion of these musical resources.
The fellowships must be taken up between October 2008 and August 2009. Fellows are expected to be in residence during the term of the fellowship and are encouraged to participate in campus and community activities. Stipend: $3000/month.
Deadline for proposals:
September 1, 2008 for October through December 2008.
December 1 for January through August 2009.
Proposal Guidelines 2009
There is no application form. Applicants are asked to submit a proposal that addresses:
1. Their background and interest in Appalachian music.
2. A description of the project specifying which Berea collections will be made use of.
3. Anticipated research outcomes (e.g., print publications, audio / video documentaries, tune transcriptions, lesson plans, public performances, web- based resources).
4. The length of time needed for the project (one month minimum, three months maximum), and preferred dates of residence.
5. Three letters of recommendation from colleagues familiar with the applicant’s work. For graduate degree candidates, the recommendations must include those of the professor directing the applicant’s research and the department chair. Applicants are responsible for contacting all persons providing recommendations.
For information about Berea’s Sound Archives and other traditional music collections, see www.berea.edu/hutchinslibrary/specialcollections/specialsound.asp
Inquiries should be sent to:
Special Collections & Archives
Berea, KY 40404
[log in to unmask]
For additional information:
Berea's Appalachian Music Fellowship Web Page:
Please consider whether it is necessary to print this email.