ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: Mercury MG10000 series listing or discography

David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:36:46 -0400

Tom Fine wrote:

> To my ears, disk-to-disk cuts were done at both times for the
> pre-tape-master material; I say this because I cannot hear the tell-tale
> signs of a tape-dub master (a little bit of hiss, a little bit of fuzzy
> dynamics).

That probably explains the needle-drop sound on the Shostakovich Piano Pieces
LP! I forget what track it's on, possibly the Polka from the Age of Gold. (Too
bad centering wasn't a priority on those transfers.) It might also explain the
duplicated notes on some 78 transfers..midway in the 1812 Overture and in one
movement of the Khachaturian Violin Concerto (which Mitch Miller told me was
dubbed from gold metal parts, and reverb was added via a speaker and mike in
the washroom).

dl