At 09:14 AM 2008-08-17, Mike Hirst wrote:
>However, reading Goran Finnberg's comments re the work do[n]e by
>George Blood, I am surprised to find that different combinations of
>software and hardware can produce different results. Am I to
>understand that Adobe Audition, for example, will capture audio
>differently when used with an M-Audio card, for example, than it
>would when combined with an E-MU or SoundBlaster card? does it then
>follow that the same card combined with different software would
>produce different results? Is this something I should worry about?
>What is the extent of this discrepancy and how best can I avoid it?
I, too, found this interesting. It lends some credence to the
comments from a friend of mine that he thinks Samplitude sounds
better than WaveLab -- a result I don't (yet?) hear. He has a
Benchmark D-A converter and I have an RME Multiface (now version II
on the main channels, though I did the original listing on an
On another note:
I am actually glad that I invested in WaveLab as it does some things
that Samplitude doesn't. The tools that I have used several times are:
- compare to audio files: it will not only say if the AUDIO is the
same or different (independent of the metadata) it will also attempt
to clarify the difference, so that would be easy to detect the 0.2 dB
level shift that was commented on earlier in this thread.
- split WAV files on cue marks. With Samplitude working in a
virtual mode, CDs come out as one file with track marks. It is
convenient in WaveLab to break the one long file into individual
files for distribution of individual selections on the Web. I then
run a batch MP3 convert in Samplitude to generate the individual
MP3s, but it's faster to take the marked WAV file into WaveLab to do
the split than to do it in Samplitude.
The reason that I invested in WaveLab was that version 6.0 refused to
read some files that Samplitude 10.0.1 produced and it seems that
there were errors on both sides as WaveLab 6.1 read the files that
6.0 could not, and Samplitude 10.1 appears to have fixed the BEXT
chunk errors that were causing the issue with WaveLab 6.0 (a
terminating CR/LF pair or something like that was omitted by
Samplitude). Between the cost of WaveLab and my time, that was
probably a $1500 software glitch for me!
Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask]
Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX
Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm
Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.