ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: Scarlatti Orchestra: Info needed please

David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 00:09:09 -0400

Mike Richter wrote:
> David Lennick wrote:
>
>> The version shown in the 1963 catalog was probably the standard one by
>> that time, but Angel (and Westminster) issued albums in "thrift"
>> editions with generic covers as well as the more elaborate ones. I
>> don't know why anyone ever thought that was a good idea.
>
> Anyone with a tight budget and broad taste can answer that one. <G>
>
> Seriously, the buck-a-disc saving mattered to many (including me) during
> that period. Similarly, many chose to save a dollar by buying monaural
> where stereo did not seem to add much.
>
> My LP library is well supplied with bargain versions and monaurals where
> stereo was available.
>
> Mike

Also, the budget versions of the Angel jackets haven't fallen to pieces the way
the dowel post ones have.  As for mono vs stereo, I was equally budget
conscious in the 60s and bought the mono versions of Everest's Archive of Piano
series because they were 30 cents cheaper. Only much later did I discover that
they were in fact stereo..Everest cut one set of masters and printed two sets
of labels and jackets.

But liner notes would have been nice! (On the Angels, that is.)

dl