ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: aluminum disk question

John Ross <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:31:02 -0700

At  8/1/2008 10:19 AM, Trey Bunn wrote:
>I have a 10" aluminum record with the brand name Perma Disk that I
>need to digitize.  It has three holes (two in addition to the standard
>center hole) and instructions on either side to "play outside in" and
>"play inside out."  Although the turntable I have isn't
>bi-directional, recording it backwards and then reversing the sound
>wouldn't be difficult.

You don't have to ply the turntable backward. The turntable still
runs in the same direction, but  the original recording began at the
inside and ran outwards. Place the arm at the inside of the recorded
area and it will play its way to the outside.

>What I'm wondering is whether or not the equipment I have will work.
>I have a stylus for playing 78s (the disk is recorded at 78 speed),
>but that's for shellac disks, and I assume that there's a different
>stylus for aluminum.  There is also one that I just found in a cabinet
>(this equipment was purchased long before I started working here) that
>says it's "2.7 mil, 78/transcription."  Would this be the right one
>for the aluminum disc?  And are those other two holes really
>necessary, or can I use the turntable we have?  If I do need a new
>stylus for this, can anyone recommend the proper one and where to get
>it?

Your 78 stylus is probably 2.7 mil. That's not always ideal for
home-made discs, but it will work. If it's a one-off project, it's
probably not worth spending $150 or so for a special stylus. Either
transfer the sound with your existing stylus and clean up the sound
in software (if necessary), or farm the job out to somebody who has
an assortment of styli.

>Actually, I'm not even 100% sure this is aluminum.  The disk is black
>like an LP, but the edge is metallic colored.  I found a picture of
>the label at http://www.phonozoic.net/recordio/ (about 1/4 of the way
>down the page), and it appears that this company made disks of glass,
>steel, and simply "metal" in the third example (which most closely
>resembles the one I have, but my label is blue).  Anyone have any
>insight?

It's probably an aluminum base with some kind of acetate or lacquer surface.

John Ross