ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: Large-format scanner redux

Malcolm Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:44:35 -0700

There was reference to doing copies with lights. Regular camera
lenses, even very fancy ones, are corrected for two colors, not
three. Normal photography done with apocromats is very different.
Pictures of people look fairly awful and most regular subject matter
looks flat. They are flat field lenses corrected for one to one
though I had one that they custom made for me with a different ratio.
The angle of coverage is considerably less than regular lenses. Also,
they are mostly f9.5. The other place they are encountered is very
expensive lenses for microscopes where again, the image quality is
very different.  Copy work done with apocromats is very visibly
superior to work done with regular lenses.

Malcolm Smith.