ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: lp, cassette, 8-track cut-outs?

Mike Hirst <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:30:55 +0100

In the late seventies, early eighties I bought many LPs from record
stores, supermarkets and bargain shops with cut-outs and holes in the
sleeves. Many of these were US imports, often on small regional lables,
never officially released or distributed in the UK. I have some superb
examples of Southern Soul, Tex Mex and New Orleans Funk that a paid
pennies for through these sources. I have been told that these discount
records were used as ballast in empty or half full container ships
returning from the US. At the end of the voyage the unwanted discs were
distributed through cut price stores. Can anyone verify or expand on this?

--
Mike Hirst
Managing Director

tel: 0191 289 3186