ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

CF cards, FAT16 formatting, Windows XP and some older JVC Portable Rom Players

Andy Kolovos <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:08:38 -0400

Folks,

I hope this isn't too off topic.  We've got a large number of JVC
XA-GP3BK audio players.  These are the kind of thing you find for
exhibit-based audio playback in museums--they've got a mono earphone,
numerical keypad for selecting audio tracks, a play button, a volume
knob and use CF cards for file storage.  Pretty simple and well suited
to our needs.

We purchased them several hundred years ago to be able to include
interview audio excerpts for our in house exhibits.  We also loan them
out to other local museums that want to include audio material in their
exhibits.

The problem I seem to be having relates to CF card formatting.  As I
said, in digital technology terms these things are sort of old--they
date back to the late 1990s.  Herein lies the root of the problem.

According to the developer's handbook for creating audio programs for
use with these units the CF cards need to be "MSDOS formatted."  I
assume this means FAT.  All fine and good, right?  Well, I learned (the
hard way, actually) that FAT32 isn't exactly fully compatible with the
players.  I've also learned that Windows XP doesn't allow for FAT16
formatting.

Outside of trying to track down an old 98SE or 2K machine (which I might
be able to do), is there any way--a third party app, a command line
approach--that I can use to do a FAT16 format on these cards using my XP
machine?  Anyone know if a Mac running OSX will do a FAT16 format?

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks!

andy
--